Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hunger Games Movie Review (in Comparison to the Book)

           Yesterday, I went to go see the very popular Hunger Games movie. Before seeing the movies I had already read the entire trilogy, and am the kind of person that is very particular when it comes to accuracy from the book to the movie. I loved the book series and had some hope for the movie. 






My pre-movie thoughts:

  •           I wasn't sure about Jennifer Lawrence playing Katniss. The character Katniss was supposed to be very thin from lack of food, and Jennifer's face is a bit...chubby round. 
  •           I was worried about Josh Hutcherson as Peeta...I think the last movie I saw him in was Bridge to Terabithia (one of my least favorite movies, ever). 
  •           I was afraid the movie was going to be horribly inaccurate like many other book-turned-movies I had seen before (*cough cough* Twilight *cough*)



          BUT, the movie was VERY GOOD! I was shocked at how well it was done. The movie followed very closely to the books! There was only a few details that were missed, but I found myself easily forgiving them which I almost never do. A couple minor characters were cut out of the movie, the ending did not end of as uncomfortably as the books, and the origins of the pin were some of the main (non revealing) differences I noticed. The ending of the movie was a bit faster than the books showed it, but it made sense considering the time constraints. 

          The special effects were very good and very believable. I really enjoyed the fact that I wasn't sitting there thinking to myself, Wow, look how fake that is. Really? They could have made that better! I loved how the movie portrayed the futuristic society the book was set in and how they blended parts of the past, present, and future into the movie. The book does a great time of this too, but there were things shown in the movie, I didn't even imagine myself (in a good way!). 

          The plot of the book was followed very closely in the movie. There were of course some slight differences, but the characters got from point A to B to C the same ways as in the book. Like the book, or even more possibly, the movie was very moving. I felt very strong emotions the entire movie, ranging from worry, to stress, to fear, to sadness, to relief. I actually felt like I was going to cry at one point...THIS IS HUGE! I NEVER EVER cry during movies, and this one had tears about to fall from my eyes. I was sitting next to my mother who was practically bawling (she's very emotional). I didn't even feel this strongly at this certain point in the movies, while reading the books (I did feel strongly about other things in the books though). 

          The acting...Pretty good. I thought it was pretty good...I thought the younger sister might have been able to do a little better, but generally it was very good. Yeah. 


          THE MAKEUP. Omigosh, the makeup was BRILLIANT!! Effie Trinket's makeup was amazing and crazy and out there and I loved it. I was even better because through the whole movie it kept changing, so I got to see about 5 different crazy makeup looks. It made me very happy. There was also crazy awesome makeup on the other people living at the Capitol. As I read the books I always imagined Effie as Deloris Umbridge from Harry Potter...anyone else?


          For those who haven't read the books: The story is about teenagers killing other teenagers, the series is not a happy series, and there is a bit of romance going on, but not enough to make guys not want to read it. The books are amazing, please read them! If you haven't read the series the movie still makes sense and is a very good movie, especially if you are expecting it to not be Happy Fun Rainbow Time Movie. 

          If you are under the age of 13, I would suggest you wait to see it because the movie is very graphic and leaves a lot to the imagination. There is a lot of killing, which is pretty much the point of the books. 

          The movie gets a 9/10 on the Anna May movie scale, and a 8.5/10 on the accuracy scale. I hope you all go see it!



2 comments:

  1. Josh Hutcherson in a super, Twilight-scale popular movie?? Didn't really see that coming... That alone makes me want to watch this movie!

    I didn't read the books, but just about EVERYONE has been trying to get me into this. Might as well see what it's all about, I guess. ><; I'm kinda excited!! Oh! What kind of special effects? As James Cameron's NUMBER ONE fan; that caught my eye... ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are AWESOME! I highly suggest you read them. Special effects like futuristic computers and some animal special effects. Obviously not as crazy as James Cameron, but the ones they have are good. <3

      Delete